Thursday, March 8, 2012

Faces

Do I even see their faces anymore?

That’s the thought that came to me when I was in the midst of feeling sorry for myself the other day. The last few weeks have been trying, to say the least. I couldn’t even begin to describe all that’s weighing on my mind lately, but sometimes it feels like my heart is buried under a mountain of worry and sorrow.

Whenever the cares of this life get to be too much, I do one of two things: crack open my Bible or start working really hard on a physically taxing project. On that particular day, I chose the latter.

As I worked, one thought kept resurfacing in my mind: Do I see their faces anymore? Do I remember who it is this fight is for?

When I began my journey in the fight against human trafficking, I could see the faces of children I’d never met before. I was driven by the thought of them being scared and hurting, motherless, and abused to the point of torture. I would hear their stories and weep.

Now I’m doing what I set out to do: I’m in schools teaching young adults to be safer online, I’m raising awareness for human trafficking, and I’m helping others plug into the fight. But between fighting evil and wading through the everyday trials like bills, sick loved ones, broken dreams, and crazy schedules, I wonder if I’ve forgotten, even just a little who it was I started fighting for.

It’s a tempting proposition, to not be consumed with their pain – to once again be oblivious to anything as heinous as human trafficking. But someone has to fight for these children, our children. Someone has to tell those who would buy and sell human beings that what they are doing is wrong. Someone has to teach our children that bad men use the Internet to steal them from us.

If we all get too busy, too burdened, too tired, then who will see their faces?

Every time someone new joins the fight, they bring with them a fresh energy that bolsters the other warriors. This past week, I’ve had several people come alongside us in the fight, several who are eager to lend their talents and energy to winning the war against human trafficking.

I wonder if they know how much their very presence means, how encouraging it is. I wonder if they know that when I see trafficking through their eyes, as if for the first time, it helps me remember the faces of those we’re fighting for. 

~Heather

1 comment: